livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Alternative fuels on the farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Gwen Giffen" <ggiffen@1st.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Alternative fuels on the farm
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:36:33 -0400

"One of the con reasons against "mandatory" use of draft animals is the
history of abuse because of it. People who used animals because they had to,
not want to, tended to use what ever method to get the work done. Correct,
humane or not, They just wanted the beast to pull the whatever. Read "Black
Beauty" for information on this.
Wether one does no till or more contentional ways of crop farming, the
farmer will still need more than man power to work and move the crop,
therefor the need to raise grain for feed to feed the work animals or the use of
fuels. " There is no shouse thing as a free lunch" I wish there were :-(

Peggy"

"Black Beauty" is a story of a cart horse used for show and for the business of carting. I'm sure there were cases of abuse in farming, but I am of the opinion that in general, farmers who utilize large animals for a living, particularly on small farms, have much to lose with an unhealthy animal, and so are more likely to pay close attention to the animal's health and well-being. Many treated their work horses better than their wives.

Gwen