livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mycorrhizae - where on the list does it go?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Greg Bell <gregbell@znet.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mycorrhizae - where on the list does it go?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:18:17 +1000 (EST)

explain this way: you don't "work our way down the list over time". You
practice all the soil building approaches all the time, that we've gone
over, and Nature takes care of the details.

The approaches are: humus-building, crop rotation, no-till, cover crops, mycorrhizae innoculations and no chemicals?

I guess I'm looking at my limited funds and (for now) limited time. My soil has issues, and my limits mean I have to prioritize. I think I can tell that mycorrhizae-friendly crop rotations are probably less important to me this very day than, say, the high salt content of my soil. Isn't there an implied order there? Actively fix one, then the other, then the other problems will resolve themselves with the good practices?

Looked at another way, aren't some of the issues "blockers" requiring action on the part of the farmer, before the natural, time-tested processes can run free and work their wonders?

~gb