livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feedingthe world/

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "D Knoll" <homeschool@iontreasures.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feedingthe world/
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:18:06 -0400

But perhaps the Jains have genetic adaptations that we don't know about that
enables this diet. Perhaps there are groups of people who have certain genes
and those who don't and that the diet that would suit you best is the one
that your genetic code says you are best adapted for. I say this based on
the info I've been reading lately about genes for lactose intolerance, other
sugar disorders, fava beans protecting people from malaria, etc. and that
all these (and many more, I'm sure) are based on certain genetics. I think
one book I read was called "Some Like it Hot", but I'm sorry I don't recall
the author.

What about canine teeth? Are these receding in the human population, like
the appendix (supposedly not used anymore, but that could be another one of
those scientific factoids. Does anyone know for certain that it is not used
for anything? Of course they don't.)? We don't use them for attracting
mates, like baboons do, so perhaps they are for meat. Perhaps we are
opportunistic omnivores (like pigs); we'll eat meat when it's available, but
we can survive on veggies. And in our society, the ready availability of
meat has caused portion sizes to increase to a ridiculous amount, and we
probably eat as much meat in a day as some of our ancestors may have eaten
in a period of weeks or months.

Anyway, I haven't read the article yet, and I am not trying to be
argumentative, these are just a few of the things that come to mind when I
think about "What are we REALLY supposed to be eating? Should I cut out meat
entirely? Will the touted benefits of soy even impact a person of non-Asian
origin?" and my best answer is that, like religion, schooling, politics,
etc. it is best determined on an individual basis. That being inconvenient
for the politicos and the corporations, we get things like "food pyramids"
and doctors recommending that you cut your cholesterol, without really fully
understanding the complex biological systems, and not even acknowledging
individual biological nuances.

>It's perfectly possible to be healthy and enjoy a long life
while eating NO animal foods whatsoever: I only need point
to the Jains in India - for many hundreds of years, many
Jains have been both vegan and healthy.