livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feeding the world/

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feeding the world/
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:45:49 -0600

I agree, Pat. Here's one part that caught my attention:

"All together the food-processing industry in the United States uses about
ten calories of fossil-fuel energy for every calorie of food energy it
produces. That number does not include the fuel used in transporting the
food from the factory to a store near you, or the fuel used by millions of
people driving to thousands of super discount stores on the edge of town,
where the land is cheap."

And of course that doesn't count the fossil fuel energy to grow those
crops.

The evidence for grow local, eat local is everywhere.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net