livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feedingthe world/

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feedingthe world/
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:12:18 -0500 (CDT)

Yes! Categorical summations are problematic. We are, as groups of people
(well, once so) as well as individually, different.

Some folks would tell me that not only should I be totally vegan/jain
(whatever), but that I should also eat food raw. If I could I would, but I
can't- Oral Allergy Syndrome results in my mouth breaking out when I eat raw
vegetables (nothing like have severe itching as an after-taste!). I suppose
that I'm a genetic defect that in previous timeframes would haven't existed.
NOTE: I don't, however, find myself alone thanks to the billions in Asia who,
as a technical reason, have it in their culture to cook all their vegetables.

And then there's that issue again with those folks who live close to the
permafrost areas. You'd have about as much success convincing them that they
need to switch to vegan/jain as you'd have of selling them iceboxes.

I think that the essential aim is to shoot for the local, the general, rather
than proscribe some/THE method.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

=====================
From: D Knoll <homeschool@iontreasures.com>

But perhaps the Jains have genetic adaptations that we don't know about that
enables this diet. Perhaps there are groups of people who have certain genes
and those who don't and that the diet that would suit you best is the one
that your genetic code says you are best adapted for. I say this based on
the info I've been reading lately about genes for lactose intolerance, other
sugar disorders, fava beans protecting people from malaria, etc. and that
all these (and many more, I'm sure) are based on certain genetics. I think
one book I read was called "Some Like it Hot", but I'm sorry I don't recall
the author.

[snip]

  • Re: [Livingontheland] the oil we eat/ the myth of America feedingthe world/, Mark Nagel, 06/19/2006