livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "ryalbinger@earthlink.net, Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] compost
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:38:50 -0500

I forgot to add this. I did some calculations. I seem to hear that 1 inch
of compost applied per year to food growing areas as being a norm, so that
is a number I used.
If 1 inch of compost were added to 1 acre of land it would take 3630 cu ft
of compost (43560 sq feet, 1/12 of foot of compost) or 134 cubic yards
(3630cu ft / 27 cuft/cu yd). At a price of $40 per cubic yard of compost,
that would cost $5360 per acre. Does this seem correct?
Ryan