livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ wasCompost tea and bugs in a jug

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan Albinger" <ryalbinger@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the myth of America feeding the world/ wasCompost tea and bugs in a jug
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:38:53 -0500

Cattle are valuable to this country. Many people do not realize how much
recycling they are reponsible for. Cattle and dairy industries utilize
many byproducts of human food production- culled chipping potatoes,
carrots, chocolate, hominy, old corn starch, corn gluten feed, corn gluten
meal, wheat midds, bakery waste, pizza crust, brewer's grains, fuzzy
cottonseed, and many others. Plus, they utilize the co-products of the
ethanol industry- distiller's grains. The rations are balanced to
accomodate these products while not upsetting feed concumption or nutrient
content. Literally, MANY of these products would have ended up in a
landfill somewhere. How resourceful is that? Americans and much of the
world lead a consumptive lifestyle and waste more fresh water and food in a
day than 10 cattle consume. And cattle offer the ability to make marginal
ground viable. Food fruit and vegtable production requires such high input
that only the most suited ground is worthy of it. It is too expensive to
try to make viable production on poor ground and poor climates. Meanwhile
cows joyously consume the bounty of the 'unusable' land and provide meat,
milk, and other products for the people of the world.
Ryan

Personally