livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] compost

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] compost
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:34:07 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

A compost application rate of 1 to 2 inches is commonly
suggested in horticulture literature, but keep in mind they
are talking about home gardens, lawns, and landscape
beds.

It is economically feasible to apply compost at these high
application rates on a small scale.

That's a big reason why gardeners can make fairly quick
and noticeable modifications to soil tilth and soil fertility.

Compost weights approximately 800 lbs to 1200 lbs per
cubic yard, depending on moisture and bulk density.

Thus, a rule of thumb weight is 1,000 lbs per cubic yard.

Thus, a rule of thumb calculation is 2 cubic yards per ton.

Typical compost application rates on a per acreage basis
for farm-scale compost applications are roughly 2-3 tons Low,
5-10 tons Medium, and 15-20 tons High.

At these lower rates, it amounts to just 1/8th to 1/4th
inch application of compost to the soil surface.

Obviously, you need a good spreader to get an even
application.

The rate of application depends on on the crop --
agronomic vs horticultural, the cost of compost, and
the farmer's judgement of soil and crop needs.

Compost costs roughly $10 to $55 (or more) per ton to
produce, depending on the method, level of management
intensity, and amendments to the compost windrow such
as clay, rock minerals, rock dusts, and microbial inoculants.

Commercial organic vegetable farmers that crop the soil
heavily might use 15 tons per acre per year.

There are some Amish farmers in my region who are
making high quality humified compost and applying
20 tons per acre, raising row crops and veggie crops.
They are knowledgeable about the value of compost,
humus-building practices, and soil biology.

Frankly, good quality compost is in limited supplies
in many parts of the country.

That's why some organic veggie farms keep a few
cows, to generate manure and bedding so they can
make their own compost.

Steve Diver