livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture courses

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture courses
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 15:38:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Michael M. -

It is good to see your voice on this list.

Yes, there are permaculture short courses that are
practical to attend on the weekend and they are
very affordable.

I have taught the essential elements of permaculture
ethics, principles, and ecological design in one day.

That is enough to get people oriented, which leads
to years of further self education and practical experience.

But if you have two days, you can include plenty of time
for group participation and make it a memorable
experience for everyone.

Separate short courses are available on practical
methods and appropriate technology such as composting,
solar greenhouses, etc.

I'm speaking in general terms. These kind of
weekend permaculture short courses are offered
around the country.

This morning I taught a workshop on organic
gardening at a local community center, for free.

I'm emphasizing four practical growing methods:
raised beds, row cropping, weed barrier, and
container gardening. It weaves in soil fertility,
rock minerals, soil biology, compost, cover crops,
weed control, mulches, and tools.

Steve Diver