livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture courses

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture courses
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:29:42 -0600

We have a few differences of opinion on any good list, and I hope as
listowner I'm allowed my opinion as others are. That said, I wouldn't call
those who see problems with permaculture seminars curmudgeons or anything
disparaging. We're not unreasonable or inexperienced or ignorant, we just
think they cost too much and we can get what we're looking for from
networking, from publications, whatever. I'd go slow about criticizing
people with a different opinion on paying for permaculture philosophy.

I don't think anyone argued that nothing useful comes out of those expensive
seminars. But it should go without saying that the only people who can attend
are those who can afford them and afford to take off work - which leaves out
the vast majority of working people struggling to make ends meet. I for one
don't have a trust fund to fall back on; I'm retired on a fixed income. On a
more personal note, it all strikes me as the same types who pay big bucks to
hear spiritual gurus and "get spiritual". I'm reminded of something Kunstler
touched on here this week - that people in a crisis look for a savior, the
man on a white horse, a demagogue, anyone who promises to save them from
their own lack of whatever. So some pay for spirituality, or for a political
voice, or for a feel-good seminar on sustainability. Personally I don't think
a positive attitude is something I can buy, like just put it on my Visa. Of
course a guy who just dropped a few hundred on a seminar is going to say it
was worth it. Who wants to be thought a fool?

Growing, living on the land, learning and adapting Old Ways, creating
community - all these things take time and effort and study and experience.
And I'm sure Mollison, who invented the term permaculture, must agree.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry