livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture Training in Western Virginia

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture Training in Western Virginia
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:17:51 -0600

Anytime an advertisement for a permaculture course comes up, I'm going to
point out that it's only an ecological living philosophy, not a how-to for a
complete grower, not a route to fast, economical food production for oneself,
or a neighborhood, or a farmers market. Also I'd point out that Mollison
*lived* his philosophy for many years and was a university professor, and has
been seriously at odds with the Americans who have tried to cash in on his
work and name.

I notice the cost is not revealed up front; it rarely is. The cost of these
weekend or weeklong seminars is out of reach for the millions of poor and
working class who need growing instruction the most. Mollison's book is a lot
cheaper.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry