livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Re gardening for chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: SpaceCityDX@webtv.net (Elizabeth B.)
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Re gardening for chickens
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:49:36 -0600

I see what you're saying Carrie with regards to permaculture; we're on a
similar wavelength. It was the "layering" that you spoke of that I'm
after.

It's such a blank canvas aside from the poplars and junipers but I've
begun planting foods that I know chickens love such as a wide variety of
greens, a few dwarf apple trees and a couple of persimmon trees. I've
also seeded rye grass with partridge pea, bundle flower, black eyed
susans, dandelions, strawberries and then a few plots of sunflowers. I
made tunnels for them out of used cattle panels for vines like
cucumbers, zucchini passionfruit and blackberries etc.

My orchard has taken a beating these past two years beginning with a
tornado which I was able to save with grafting. Then followed the
ravages of hurricane Rita.... so I am back to square one with more
grafts, 1 and 2 year old trees out there. All the vines, bushes, herbs
and a few flowers survived the experience. I did plant Lemon Mint, which
is a wildflower, as a hedge and it's looking gorgeous.

Thank you for your reply Carrie. I'm off to play in my seed box and see
what I can transplant as well.

Elizabeth

  • [Livingontheland] Re gardening for chickens, Elizabeth B., 03/28/2006