livingontheland - [Livingontheland] was seeds/ is new member plans in south central Mo.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Cheryl Modjeski" <nodoubt@semo.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] was seeds/ is new member plans in south central Mo.
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:34:27 -0600

Hi Paul,
I am thinking toward the permanent beds. I had some about 8 years ago in
west central Arkansas. I did like them but we moved. I hope someone else
took advantage of all the work we put in building them.

I will have to take things a step at a time here, but I have an area that is
around 60' x 100' that is south of a free standing 24' x 45' double hoop
greenhouse. It is not all the way finished, but it will work just fine for
this year... ( will have to finish it for the winter... ) I also have some
fenced corrals around the barn that have had manure over them for a long
time. I have gotten rid of most of the goats so I can till them up and use
them also. I have a place that is on a northern slop that is where we have
a Lot of 2 year old and 1 year old compost from the barn. I am reading seed
to seed and am checking into growing seed for Baker Creek Seed Co. I also
have a feed store in town that has been doing business a little over a year,
and I sold veggie seedlings from there last year. They want me to do it
this year. I have been selling open pollinated varieties and plan to
continue as it is the thing that sets me apart from all the other seedlings
in the area. Also I have several families that will buy veggies this
summer. There is a lot to do to make it a smooth running operation but all
the rough ingredients are here.
To be honest I do not have a solid plan. I am at this time just doing what
I know how to do and looking for the answers as the questions present
themselves. To be honest I am so excited I have not settled down enough to
begin to worry yet. This is the life I always wanted as I was growing up...

I will be reading what everyone else posts and I do want to say..

Thanks for the encouragement from Ralph in Missouri. What part of the state
are you gardening?
Thanks to everyone for sharing... I am behind so I will need to read the
archives...

Cheryl in Mo.
paperrain@semo.net