livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] saving seed from corn?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] saving seed from corn?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:57:19 -0700

Are you familiar with the fourth sister? Cleome, Rocky Mountain Bee Plant. It
grows wild around our beds. I'm no fan of Hemenway but he has this to say:

In the Southwest, a fourth "sister" is found in this guild: Rocky Mountain
bee plant (Cleome serrulata). Often growing near former Anasazi
settlements—it's virtually an indicator plant for ancient ruins—this 2- to
5-foot tall, pink-flowered cleome is a powerful attractant for beneficial
insects that pollinate beans and squash. The young leaves, flowers, and seed
pods of bee plant are edible, and native people boiled and ate them, or made
a paste from the plant for later use. Bee plant also accumulates iron, and
thus is the source of a deep-hued paint used to create the characteristic
black designs on Anasazi pottery. Songs and blessings of New Mexico's Tewa
people mention corn, beans, squash, and bee plant, indicating that this
multi-functional flower is an integral member of a sacred plant pantheon.
http://www.patternliteracy.com/gg3sisters.html

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry