livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What's wrong in "Thanksgiving's Hidden Costs"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What's wrong in "Thanksgiving's Hidden Costs"
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:39:49 -0500

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:40:33 -0700, you wrote:

>A lot of useful information there. I'm surprised with all the research we've
>done here we haven't come across those things. Hearing personal experience
>with that equipment and sources is invaluable.

I'm surprised too, because it would seem to me that cooking
basic foods from scratch is a fairly fundamental part of
local food self-reliance:

BUT... you know,

****** NO ONE does everything. ********

Everything we do (you, me, all people) takes: time, money
(even if only an opportunity cost*) and energy (I mean
personal energy, personal endurance, not oil-type energy).

(*Opportunity cost: If I spend the next half-hour baking
bread, I can't also spend it working for money. Conversely,
if I spend it working for money, then I don't have bread to
eat.)

So we all pick and choose what we can do, and can't do. And
- for each individual - this varies from time to time with
changing personal circumstances.

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful