livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What's wrong in "Thanksgiving's Hidden Costs"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What's wrong in "Thanksgiving's Hidden Costs"
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:34:19 -0500

>What few realize is, if the local food movement grows enough it will take a
>bite out of agribusiness where it hurts most - marketing. No law, no company
>can force us to eat what we don't want. This is the Achilles Heel of
>agribusiness. We vote with our feet and our purse. No government policies
>can protect the profits of agribusiness if they can't sell enough of what
>they produce.

This much, we can certainly agree on.

Maybe they can't force us to eat the junk on supermarket
shelves. But they can certainly try to make sure that
nothing else is available. We do have to eat something!
And it must be affordable. There's the problem.

Yes, we should all work to solve this problem. Yes, I am
(as you are).

I grow as large a percentage of our food as I possibly can.
I buy soybeans and wheat direct from the farmer: they
aren't local and they aren't organic. But they are (a)
non-GMO and (b) direct from the farmer and (c) outside the
mainstream of agribusiness. This is good. It's not
perfect, but it's good.

Pat

--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful