labruscagrape - [OFEX] FW: [NAFEX] Whip and tongue with two different sicons?

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] FW: [NAFEX] Whip and tongue with two different sicons?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:49:28 -0400

Good morning to the group

I have pasted this entry from nafex over to our group - and was wondering if
anyone has tried this? I am looking at experimenting with cleft grafts on a
group of trees that I'm renting from a neighbour's orchard. I also might
give this a go with bald spots in my own orchard, instead of trying to
encourage dormant buds to sprout.

To Joe and Joe - I'll be posting your Ashmead's Kernel scionwood this
afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Cheers, Bizmark.

You can insert a shaved scion anywhere on the main trunk you want. You
merely cut a 2 or 2.5 inch slit vertically on the trunk (when bark is
slipping), pry one side up with a screw driver or whatever, and slip your
scion in - shaved side to the trunk. Seal up all air access with childrens
modeling clay, then paint the whole affair with grafting glue to anchor
everything in place and prevent dessication of the scion. Whatever angle you
set with the scion is the angle you get as a branch. In my estimation, far
more practical than looking for a limb stump to bark graft. Plus, you can
set a new branch where there is a bald spot on the trunk. Works REAL good
with small diameter scion wood! Neat trick when you think about it!

Kenneth Quattlebaum