labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Figs

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@hotmail.com>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Figs
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:48:10 +0000

I had more life during the warm January than now. Daffodils close to the house started to come out. My figs and pommegranates all started to sprout in my cold room - only went down to 12 C. Feb cooled things down drastically. Cold room down to 9. I moved my big figs to the garage during a 4 day warm snap in early Mar, however, the 5 day cold snap of -10 to -14 forced me to move everything back. Out they went again last Thurs., this time all into my almost complete greenhouse. I want them to slow them down and harden a bit with the cool evenings. I feel they easily take a -2 for short periods, as long as they have overhead and wind protection. The temp has only dropped to about 0. They are doing fine.

Tom, I would suspect there is still life in yours. A year ago when I moved my figs in from the garage, the soil was solid. I had just returned from a week away and the plants suffered(?) a 2 days cold snap that froze everything. These were Turkish browns and one desert king.

In spite of the warmth, the only outside life I see are the daffodils and day lillies that started to emerge in Jan. Everything is still brown and dull! I'm sure there will be more action this week.

jmb