labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Fw: tomatoes and vertical planting.

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Fw: tomatoes and vertical planting.
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:54:47 -0400

Biz,

How practical do you want to be?

Some sources say you can plant herbs or flowers in the top of the upside down tomato pot. Other sources say to cap the top of the upside down tomato to reduce evaporation.

I think it would be too hard to keep the pots moist if you grew from both ends. Capping sounds best to me.

Also... Think about height. You have the wire hanging the pot, the length of the pot, and then the plant length.

Hanger 8"
Pot 12"
Plant 35" (conservative)
=========
Tot. 55"

That is a pretty tall sky hook, and an indeterminate plant just keeps going and going and going. Then of course you have to be able to reach the top of the pot to water it.

Just looking down the road to when the plants are full grown.

Later,
Tom