labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Fw: tomatoes

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Fw: tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:35:04 -0400

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:12:17 -0400, Biz Storms <biz.storms@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> size from cherry up to large beefcake,

Biz,

"Beefcake"? What kind of tomatoes are those????!!! LOL

I agreee with you that you can be very flexible with what you can use for holding the grow medium, from plastic grow bags to three gallon pails.

The critical issues would be;

1) correct medium

2) volume of medium (3-5 gallon)

3) strength of pot

4) strength of support

5) determinate tomato plants (bush type)

6) water and feeding

I have also read that a large variety of plants could be grwon in this manner. My mind jumps to watermellons (Sugar Baby) with no mowing problem caused by vines and interwoven weeds. Sure, you'd have to support the fruit in an onion sack, but could it be done? I am sure peppers would work beautifully if grown upside down.

Later,