labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Update & a couple questions.

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Update & a couple questions.
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:59:59 -0400

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:30:40 -0400, Biz Storms <biz.storms@sympatico.ca> wrote:

My tree pruning this spring was minimal, since we're trying for more fruiting.

Hi Biz,

I am not a fig expert. Bert or Joe may know (Bert for sure).

Do not forget that prunining (training) should never be ignored or bypassed in the early years to expedite fruit production. You want limbs that are trained to bear a load, before the load arrives. It is a cart before the horse scenario.

You do not want long, wispy branches. Always take off about 1/3rd of the previous season's growth. Take it off at a bud that is going in the direction you want (outside facing).

Think about steel and what is stronger;

1) a straight strip

2) a crimped strip with many reinforcing bends

You want a whory (sp?) tree, with many bends and turns in the limbs for strength. This is achieved through annual pruning (training), and making the tree do what you want, not what it wants.

I never quite knew what a whory apple tree was until I mowed my FIL's apple orchard. You reach out to push a limb out of the way of the lawn tractor, and instead, it pushes you off the tractor. That is whory. Good and strong, capable of bearing a heavy load of apples.

Well, I should start my grafting. Maybe tonight.

Later,