labruscagrape - [OFEX] spring/winter damage

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Joe Boles" <jo.bo@rogers.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] spring/winter damage
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:36:37 -0400

This is the first year my peach tree did not blossom. I do not know specifically when or what got it. Likely a frost in the spring. Its also the worst I've seen Peach Leaf Curl, although I sprayed both in the fall and spring with a Dormant Spray. I always have a touch of it but nothing this bad. Anyone have any ideas?

The Lappins cherry lost most of its blossom this spring. You could see the dammage. A Harvest Queen pear lost all its blossoms (half opened blossoms dead). A branch of Harvest Queen on a espaliered tree against the side of the house was OK and will have fruit this year.

I lost a lot of small fruit trees; I think it was due to the soil being watter logged for so long this spring.

Some of the currants and gooseberries have something that looks similar to Peach Leaf Curl this spring. I've never had problems with them before; any ideas?

I did not think the saskatoons would have fruit this year. The local amelanchier bloom before they leaf out; the saskatoons leaf out then bloom. I guess I have not been paying proper attention in the past.

I would like to hear your comments.

Joe