internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Duke and UNC water astroturf fields

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Magnus <magnus AT trilug.org>
  • To: "Andrew C.Oliver" <acoliver AT buni.org>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Duke and UNC water astroturf fields
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:38:22 -0400

Andrew C.Oliver wrote:
> god i'd love to do away with the tradition of front lawns...my wife is the
> problem...

And in many areas, so are the HOA's.

There are many other ground coverings that would be suitable and less
thirsty than grass, but for whatever reason we're locked into this
foolish landscaping tradition.

I think a bigger problem, at least in Raleigh, is that the water supply
is controlled by Dale Crisp's department, which treats the public water
supply like a business. There is a greater incentive to sell water than
to conserve. There is almost no incentive to conserve. Falls Lake is
running dry? Oh, we'll just drain all of the auxiliary reservoirs so we
can sell more water. And we'll do it without ever having to enact Phase
2 water restrictions. Doing that would require local businesses to
start conserving water, and we can't have that.