internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Duke and UNC water astroturf fields

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Duke and UNC water astroturf fields
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:36:01 -0400

On Oct 24, 2007, at 10:19 AM, Tarus Balog wrote:

Heh, water's free, right?

We do pay for water, just not enough given that its becoming scarce. Say the local governments decide to follow your advice and charge enough to reduce consumption for most people, the side effect is that any price sufficient to make the average person conserve would mean that water would become much more expensive for the poor, and using water would be become a symbol of wealth, both with unintended consequences. Instead, we've taken the tact of making water relatively cheap, and are using voluntary bans, peer pressure, and minor penalties to restrict usage.

It very well may be that your suggestion may work, but do we really want to make it so that a green lawn is a sign of wealth? Wouldn't that simply lead to people using even more water to show they can afford it?

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC | 919-619-0607
michael -at- czeiszperger.org