internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Duke and UNC water astroturf fields

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT opennms.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Duke and UNC water astroturf fields
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:19:06 -0400

On Oct 24, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Marc Wiatrowski wrote:

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 18:36 -0400, Tarus Balog wrote:
I think this is getting blown way out of proportion. After all, it's
not like they are watering it to make it grow, or to make it
prettier; the fact is that dry astroturf is about as yielding as
concrete. If you want to have collegiate sports on astroturf, is
must
be watered heavily. I bet they are also putting water into their
swimming pools.

Doesn't this just beg a different question... With all the different
kinds of synthetic crap we can make, we can't make "yielding AstroTurf"
that doesn't requiring water!?

Heh, water's free, right?

Even though I sell free software for a living, I'm a hard core capitalist. Plus, I am also an environmentalist. The two are not mutually exclusive. The current system is broken in that much of it is based on the assumption that air is free (we can dump as much carbon and pollutants in it as we want), water is free, and land is free (from the point of view of waste). If we could capture the cost of these "externalities" in the price of goods, the system would work a lot better as the market would sort it out.

-T

Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer Main: +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc. Fax: +1 503 961 7746
Skype: tarusb Direct: +1 919 647 4749
Email: tarus AT opennms.org URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C