internetworkers - [internetworkers] Technical Support Requirements

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: tgeek AT geekspaces.net
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Technical Support Requirements
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:44:24 -0400

I've been looking at job openings for Technical Support and Help Desk reps online. Most of them seem to want the standard experience with PC's, Windows, MS Office, etc; but a lot of them want some programming background, some SQL/DB background, maybe some Unix/Linux etc.

For those who on this list who work in and/or hire for Technical Support and or Help Desk employees, what is really required? Of course, each employer is different with different needs, but what skills are most important in a Tier 1 Technical Support employee? Is it simply the ability to walk up to a machine, diagnose it, and fix it; or do you really expect your employees to be able to double as programmers and DB admins?

The reason that I ask is that the company I work for is going through a lot of change, and it makes sense to me to keep my eyes open to other possibilities. However, the way a lot of companies word job requirements, they seem to want someone with a MA in computer science and a half a dozen certifications to work in a Tier 1 environment.

Thanks for your time.

Jason