internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Technical Support Requirements

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Technical Support Requirements
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:21:12 -0400

I am not sure what you mean by Tier 1, but I'm assuming you mean the
lowest level/front line of support?

I believe most of our front line support personnel are contractors.
Some are remote and some are local.
I don't believe any of our front line support personnel are expected
to do any programming at all (of any kind). Most of their work is
over the phone, and involves a knowledge-base kind of thing where they
don't have to do too much in the way of direct troubleshooting - look
for a known solution, if it's not there, escalate the ticket to the
next level of support.

Lyman

On 10/11/07, tgeek AT geekspaces.net <tgeek AT geekspaces.net> wrote:
> I've been looking at job openings for Technical Support and Help Desk
> reps online. Most of them seem to want the standard experience with
> PC's, Windows, MS Office, etc; but a lot of them want some programming
> background, some SQL/DB background, maybe some Unix/Linux etc.
>
> For those who on this list who work in and/or hire for Technical
> Support and or Help Desk employees, what is really required? Of
> course, each employer is different with different needs, but what
> skills are most important in a Tier 1 Technical Support employee? Is
> it simply the ability to walk up to a machine, diagnose it, and fix
> it; or do you really expect your employees to be able to double as
> programmers and DB admins?
>
> The reason that I ask is that the company I work for is going through
> a lot of change, and it makes sense to me to keep my eyes open to
> other possibilities. However, the way a lot of companies word job
> requirements, they seem to want someone with a MA in computer science
> and a half a dozen certifications to work in a Tier 1 environment.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Jason

<Funny signature goes here>