internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] orphanage project

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] orphanage project
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:38:09 +1000

geschwin AT email.unc.edu wrote:
Thank you all for your concern about my ability to browse from Africa. Bandwidth indeed is an issue, as is a reliable connection. For times when I do need to get to pages that are blocked using my primary ISP, I have a backup account with a dial-up ISP (up to 33.6k only - they haven't switched to this advanced 56k technology yet!) that doesn't appear to have its IPs blacklisted. I am also considering dropping the less than reliable DSL that I currently subscribe to and going with a satellite ISP. I talked to a representative of the satellite ISP yesterday and they offer a free one week trial membership for me to test it out. I'm seriously thinking about giving that a try once I'm back from vacation later this month.

A free trial membership sounds like a great idea. Keep in mind that despite good bandwidth, the latency of a satellite connection is very high. Now, your latency on the DSL may not be ideal but satellite can have ping times of 800ms or higher. I have done some remote support work on some servers in remote Alaska and it was *brutal* at 800ms RTT. I was longing to be using a protocol like old-style telnet where you could set it up to echo characters locally instead of ssh which doesn't show your typing until the remote server sends it back.

--Jeremy