internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] orphanage project

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: geschwin AT email.unc.edu
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] orphanage project
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:38:20 -0400

Thank you all for your concern about my ability to browse from Africa. Bandwidth indeed is an issue, as is a reliable connection. For times when I do need to get to pages that are blocked using my primary ISP, I have a backup account with a dial-up ISP (up to 33.6k only - they haven't switched to this advanced 56k technology yet!) that doesn't appear to have its IPs blacklisted. I am also considering dropping the less than reliable DSL that I currently subscribe to and going with a satellite ISP. I talked to a representative of the satellite ISP yesterday and they offer a free one week trial membership for me to test it out. I'm seriously thinking about giving that a try once I'm back from vacation later this month. If I'm lucky maybe their IPs aren't blacklisted either.

One thing I learned living here in Africa is to NEVER take anything, such as basic utilities for granted. I have had a two week landline telephone outage, frequent power outages (backup generators are a wonderful thing) and frequent water outages (place your bets as to whether water or only gurgling sounds will come out of the spigot once you open the faucet). First water outage I experiences was while I was in the shower with a head full of shampoo. Now that SUCKED!