internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Water Power ??

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Water Power ??
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:05:22 -0400

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
Now, for using it as a torch, it's probably not too bad.
Instead of using acetelyne, which I believe is toxic
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you end up
using electricity (which separates the H2 and O which
later get burned). So, you get the same effect as
acetelyne but without the toxic fuel.

Most of the issue with using hydrogen as a fuel is that it is
very explosive. I don't think it would work as a torch well in
normal circumstances, perhaps there is technology that would
allow it though. Acetylene is a great gas for welding applications
since it can be burned with great control. It is non toxic
according to the MSDS <http://www.iigas.com/acetylene_msds.htm>

I love the comments on it being a simple asphyxiant:
"It should be noted that before suffocation could occur, the lower
flammability limit of acetylene in air would be exceeded; possibly
causing both an explosive and an oxygen deficient atmosphere.
Exposure in moderate concentrations may cause dizziness, headache,
and unconsciousness. Lack of sufficient oxygen may cause serious
injury or death."

God, I wish that I had written that. In my most cynical, clinical,
SOP writing days, I could not have put those words to wordprocessor
with a straight face. "Lack of sufficient oxygen may cause serious
injury or death." Ya think? Time for a brew. Enjoy, Roger
--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.