internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Water Power ??

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Water Power ??
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:52:40 -0400

All he's doing is separating the water (or H2O) into 2
parts Hydrogen gas and one part Oxygen gas and then
combining them. This combining process is also known
as "burning". :-) To separate Hydrogen and Oxygen from the
water, though, you have to use electricity. This is called
electrolysis and is taught in every single high school chemistry
class you can think of. The problem is that it takes much
more electricity to separate the hydrogen and oxygen
molecules than you can get by burning them. So, in terms
of net energy, this is clearly a loss.

Now, for using it as a torch, it's probably not too bad.
Instead of using acetelyne, which I believe is toxic
(someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you end up
using electricity (which separates the H2 and O which
later get burned). So, you get the same effect as
acetelyne but without the toxic fuel.

For running a car, though, you'll get much better efficiency
if you just hook the batteries used to separate the H2 & O
directly to an electric motor and drive the car that way. Electric
motors will give you a lot more torque anyway, which is useful
if you want to build a sports hybrid that gets 50 mph and goes
from 0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds: http://tinyurl.com/jwe9u

Cheers,
Tanner