internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Junk science

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Junk science
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:52:56 -0400

Hi Tony,

It seems difficult to believe that a vast conspiracy of politically minded climate scientists on the left could be suppressing a few, heroic opponents who are desperately trying to reveal the truth.

In this country the government is completely controlled by right wing interests. Conservatives have gained such power that evolution, the very basis for modern biology and archeology has been swept up in heated debate. Bodies of long accepted scientific research have been called into question and criticized. Intelligent Design was being taught in classrooms.

And yet somehow, the truth about the earth heating up has been locked up tight? The article you've quoted was printed by the editorial pages of the Wall Street Journal, a source that is widely acknowledged to be at the right end of the political spectrum. If, in reality, there were a small number of outspoken critics, this is one of the media outlets where I would expect them to be the most welcome.

If there were a convincing theory that explained why the earth is heating up so quickly, resulting in never before seen temperatures and vast amounts of glacier melting, I believe the scientific community would be glad to hear of it. It would give us a possible reason not to fear grievous damage to our habitat. It might even present some way we could attack the problem other than to pursue major changes in how we live.

Until there is a convincing reason, I believe the simplest explanation for all this obfuscation is to watch the money. There are powerful, wealthy interests who stand to lose if we pursue the most obvious remedies to the global crisis that most climate scientists warn of. Just as the Church did with Galileo, just as the tobacco companies did with lung cancer, and just as the chemical companies did with DDT - those who feel the most threatened will fight aggressively against the tide of opinion.

--
Scott C.

Tony Spencer wrote:
And if you don’t think politics influences science you’re kidding yourself:

“Alarm rather than genuine scientific curiosity, it appears, is essential to maintaining funding. And only the most senior scientists today can stand up against this alarmist gale, and defy the iron triangle of climate scientists, advocates and policymakers.”
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220