internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] problem with the neighbors and fighting city hall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda AT lindawatson.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] problem with the neighbors and fighting city hall
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:18:59 -0400

Jim, your description is not too harsh. I'd leave it up and suppliment it as possible with the other documentation suggested (photos of broken beer bottles, sound clips, etc. Just nothing that could be construed as p*rn.)

You actually have more opportunity to resolve this than you may think. We are coming up on our local elections for Raleigh City Council, so the candidates are going to be especially interested in making you happy. Who wants to come out in favor of the anti-social behavior you are describing?

Consider contacting the following:
* Mayor Meeker and your representative for District D, Thomas Crowder ( Thomas.Crowder AT ci.raleigh.nc.us <mailto:Thomas.Crowder AT ci.raleigh.nc.us> ), who are both running for re-election unopposed. I know you've contacted them before, but try doing it at a "meet the candidates" event. At the very least, contact their campaigns as well as their regular offices.
* At-Large Councilor Joyce Kekas (Joyce.Kekas AT ci.raleigh.nc.us <mailto:Joyce.Kekas AT ci.raleigh.nc.us>) who is one of three people running for two seats, one of which she currently holds
* Candidate Russ Stephenson ( info AT RussforRaleigh.com <mailto:info AT RussforRaleigh.com> ), who is another candidate for the at-large seat. Russ has a great background in city planning and is your most likely allie. While you are at it, donate or volunteer for his campaign, not as a bribe of course, but just because we really need him on City Council.
* Contact the president of your neighborhood Community Advisory Council and ask to get on the agenda of the next meeting. You can find out which CAC you are in by calling 831-6100.
* Your Democatic precinct chair, Andy Leager ( leager AT bellsouth.net <mailto:leager AT bellsouth.net> ) You are in 01-01, which is a very active precinct.
* The new NCSU Chancellor James Oblinger, who might be interested in improving the local Town and Gown relationship. 515-2191 ยท chancellor@*ncsu*.edu

There was also a very active group last year that was working against neighborhood breaking in the Avent Ferry area. Their representatives worked with City Council and presented their results at several CAC meetings. I couldn't google a reference right away, but your CAC person might know.

Officer Poteat is a no-op for this sort of thing.

But I have to ask, are you the James Ray registered as a Libertarian who lives on Brooks? That's the only likely Jim Ray in your neighborhood. If so, then IMHO you've to to let them party on and not resort to using goverment resources. If not, make sure your voter registration is up to date so you can vote. Of course, you may be registered a different way and I just didn't see it.

Good luck!
Linda Watson