internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] it's time for new tires

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] it's time for new tires
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:16:07 -0400

Marcia wrote:

I'm getting close to 50K miles, and started calling around and quoting new tires.

If you don't mind the slight inconvenience, you might consider buying your tires online.

The prices are TireRack are usually very much lower than what you'll pay at the local tire shop. And, except for a couple of brands they don't carry, the selection is probably much better. Their website has a lot of information about the products, and my experience with their phone sales staff was actually quite good.

You need to figure in shipping and installation costs in order to compare fairly. You'll also want to make sure that you order a proper tire for you vehicle and wheels. And not mind hauling the tires to an installer. (Though they do offer to direct ship to certain installers)

If you meet these requirements you may get a great deal. Figuring all of this in, I saved about $100 on my last set of four tires. I think I paid about $12-$15 per wheel for mounting and balancing.

YMMV ;)

--rt