internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Adobe/Macromedia merger

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Deborah Ellington <deborah AT invincigirl.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Adobe/Macromedia merger
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 13:30:25 -0400

I haven't upgraded from Dreamweaver 4.0 or Photoshop 6.0 - they still
serve my purposes - but for folks who do have more recent products, what
do you think?

The latest version of Dreamweaver has much better support for CSS (in a WYSIWYG sense) and also has relaxed a bit on the dependence on doing all file management through the Site Manager. (You know how sometimes you just want to edit a particular html file without getting all the DW alertbox chatter about how your page isn't being saved properly through the Site Manager?)

As for Photoshop 6.0 versus later versions, the newer bells and whistles I'm aware of make very little difference in my day-to-day work. I went to Adobe's Creative Suite tour and a big new feature of Photoshop is the ability to lay out a bunch of print photos on a scanner and have Photoshop instantly scan, rotate, and crop the whole lot into individual photo files. It sounds really cool, sure, but as a power user of Photoshop I am way more frequently importing digital files from a camera, or scanning film negatives. It's really not all that frequent that I'm scanning actual prints. I can't even remember what the other highlights were supposed to be. The file browser is pretty cool, actually, I think that was new to Photoshop 7.0. It lets you see thumbnails and other details about a folder of images without having to open the files individually. You can also assign keywords and other data to categorize images. It seems like it would be very useful for those who end up accumulating large libraries of pictures.

I'm pretty eager to see how Adobe and Macromedia will combine their strengths, streamline toolboxes and shortcut keys to be consistent across applications, that sort of thing. I have had many occasions to create artwork in Illustrator (preferring it over Freehand) and then export for use in Flash, and it can be a bit squirrelly. It will be nice to see if some of the overlaps or gaps between the different applications can be integrated in new ways.

Deborah Ellington