internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Adobe/Macromedia merger

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Adobe/Macromedia merger
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:22:23 -0400

On May 2, 2005, at 7:02 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
I'm a web developer, so the first thing I wondered was how the merger impacts my unrealistic hopes that one day I'll be able to embed scriptable SVG markup right there in my XHTML. Adobe's historically been pro-SVG, while Macromedia seems to have been under the misapprehension that SVG and Flash would overlap somehow.

Have you seen KineticFusion? You might find this interesting..
http://www.swftools.com/tools-details.php?tool=4014681835

It uses a super-set of SWF and SVG, and can translate and author in either format entirely without the Flash authoring tool. Haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks like fun..

Myself, I'm sanguine about the Macromedia acquisition. I'm quite ready to jump ship if necessary, but refusing to panic until it all shakes out. Macromedia makes great tools IMO, but nothing in software lasts forever.

Then again, I'm in no rush to renew my DevNet subscription, since it wasn't a very good value for me even while Macromedia was on its own two feet. (DevNet was an annual subscription to lots of MM tools.) Do these sorts of uber-subscriptions work for anyone else?

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/