internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Adobe/Macromedia merger

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers:http"@dishpan.dreamhost.com://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Adobe/Macromedia merger
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 13:44:51 -0400

On May 3, 2005, at 1:36 PM, Kelly Jo Garner wrote:

I haven't upgraded from Dreamweaver 4.0 or Photoshop 6.0 - they still
serve my purposes - but for folks who do have more recent products, what do you think?

The latest version of Dreamweaver has much better support for CSS (in a
WYSIWYG sense) and also has relaxed a bit on the dependence on doing all
file management through the Site Manager. (You know how sometimes you
just want to edit a particular html file without getting all the DW
alertbox chatter about how your page isn't being saved properly through
the Site Manager?)

Oh - well, I just edit all that in Notepad regardless. But I've never
encountered the Site Manager thing.

All that Site Manager stuff was an abomination. I imagine it can be useful for people who don't already know that location of all their relevant files, but for anyone trying to forge through a site, it was a time waster.

You can also assign keywords and other data
to categorize images. It seems like it would be very useful for those
who end up accumulating large libraries of pictures.

Anyone - Are there better tools on the market for things like this?

I do find myself with huge stacks o' digipics but sometimes the effort to
categorise each one individually is a drag. Any way to apply a global
keyword and then save as a folder attribute or something?

I don't think anything else exists. And the File Browser feature (in Photoshop 7, I guess) is AWESOME! I use it for practically everything image-related. That one feature may have been worth the upgrade alone.

Here is a link to the absolute best write-up on the Adobe/MacroMedia merger that I've come across. http://daringfireball.net/2005/04/fish_head

This guy seems to know what he is talking about -- and I certainly hope that the Sales Suits don't ruin my two favorite creative web suites.

dave m.