internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:51:50 -0400

On 4/28/05, raustin3 AT nc.rr.com <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Mine is:
> 50% General
> 45% Dixie
> 5% Yankee (oh, the pain of it all!)
> 0% all those other yankee categories.
>
> I was looking at the questions and wondering why there
> weren't more selections in some of them. There were
> several which "none of the above" would have been a
> better choice, but I had to give an answer. One on
> what you call a sweet, carbonated beverage did not
> have the proper term. That would be a "Drank". Soda
> and Pop are yankee terms.

I dunno. I never heard the term pop used until I came south. It was
exclusively soda in New England where I grew up. Which I'm pretty
sure is as Yankee as you get.

I took the quiz after seeing the URL on another site, but I forget the
exact details. I think it was 40% General American, 40% Yankee, and
then some smattering of Dixie and Upper Midwestern. Probably I picked
up the last stuff through association.

Lyman

--
Interviewer: I've been told Dinsdale Piranha nailed your head to the floor.
Stig: No. Never. He was a smashing bloke. He used to buy his mother