internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Microsoft to sell personalinformationaboutcustomers to advertisers
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:10:06 -0800 (PST)

If you can and will blame Windows that's certainly your choice.

And as for the funny Apple remark, I priced the cheapest xServe at $3k and the cheapest Dell 1850 at $3.8k.  Briefly, the Dell had 8x the RAM and a SCSI bus while the Apple had S-ATA.  The xServe is hardly a steal.  And as for the OS, I wasn't recommending using Windows.  We were talking servers so I suggested Linux.  Maybe if you quoted more than one line it would have refreshed your memory.

I care less about either OS.  Apple users have joined the Linux zealots and it's annoying to me.  I see no reason why either OS won't work.  Feel free to continue.

Tom

zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org> wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Tom Caswell wrote:
> If the second rate software on Windows is causing the problem, it's not
> Windows causing the problem. Second rate software will cause problems
> on any system. My point is you can prevent Windows from becoming the weak
> link.

Some of the problems we have come directly from Microsoft, and since this
is the platform we have to use for some of the propriety hardware/software
I can and will blame windows. And yes Exchange is second rate. So is IIS
and Share Point Services...

> Now Apple has nowhere to go - overpriced server and no desktop support.

Ha ha ha.. now you're funny.. Xserve $3k ... similarly equipped Dell 1850
almost $5k... I guess you don't get to spec equipment very often... Oh and
that's with the small 2003 license (5 clients) the 25 license version
would add another $2400...Maybe you should quit drinking the kool aid..

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport

Do you Yahoo!?