internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:58:25 -0500

I'll second the "Avoid Compaq" for a different reason: the beasts are not only crap, but crap COVERED in blue LEDs. Like that makes them less-crappy to light up half the room from the hot buttons above the keyboard.

And of course, I'm going to say take a long hard look at the iBooks. If money's an issue, check used from someplace like PowerMax or SmallDog (I think they do used). From your original post:
Durability = Check. The plastics are quality and they'll take a beating, they're made for students and stuff to be tossed in a backpack or other similar abuses. No drive tray to break, the hinge is well-protected, etc.
Value = Its killer. You can get one, new, for under a grand, and its rock hard stable, fast as lightning (well, maybe thunder, gotta go for the powerbook to get lightning), and if you don't already, you'll love OS X
Features = Get stuff built in. And it all Just Works (tm). Airport Extreme, the iBooks get pretty good reception, no fussing with drivers ever. Bluetooth, even if you don't use it now, if there's a possibility, go ahead and get the internal, since its not upgradeable (well, not supposed to be) and its better than having a USB dongle in your bag. You can get them with a superdrive now, so you can burn DVDs and stuff, and the software for that is top-notch.

And about ratings, I think one of the C|Net sites used to have reviews, I don't know if they still do or not...

*plonk* *plonk*, here's my 0.02

hth
~ian

--