internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:18:15 -0500

Colleen,
I've used Dell Latitude laptops of varying models since 1997 here at
work, and I don't have a lot bad to say. I've spoken with many other
users (both corporate and home) and I've never encountered a user who
hasn't had SOME kind of issue with the company that makes their laptop
- Dell, Sony, Gateway, IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc. I believe that
from a corporate standpoint, Dell does a decent job of support and if
you're looking for long life (in terms of support and purchase of
peripherals, etc.) then I recommend looking at the slightly less
flashy corporate line of Dell laptops (the Latitude, as I mentioned
before). Reliability has been high for me with these laptops, and
they take accidental abuse pretty well.

Lyman

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:47:35 -0500, Colleen McCarthy
<cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Do any of you have any particularly good or bad things to say about your
> experience with laptops? I've always had a Dell, and never had any
> problems. I would look at other vendors, however, if someone recommended
> them. I'm interested in durability, value for the money, and also any
> features that you have and decided were a waste, or features that you wish
> you had. Office Depot has a Compaq Presario R3000Z with an AMD Athlon XP-M
> Processor 2400+ for sale through 3/8 for $399 after some rebates. The
> machine has 256 DDR Memory, a 40 GB hard drive, 8X DVD-ROM drive (not
> burner-- can get the burner for $55 more), 15" XGA screen, 32 MB nvidia
> GeForce 4 420 Go (upgradeable to the 64 MB for $25) graphics card. The guy
> at Home Deport recommended that I upgrade to the high definition clear
> screen for $75. I don't know if this is a good deal or not. Also, does
> anyone know if there is a non-biased site that rates PCs (other than
> Consumer Reports)?
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Colleen McCarthy, BSMT, BSEE, MBA, PMP
> (h) 460-0641