internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac Questions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac Questions
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:08:11 -0500

The mini is just a very small but full featured mac minus the built in
screen. Add-ons you'd need to buy or already own would be --

wireless card if you want wireless
monitor
keyboard
mouse
recommend extra memory

It's designed for folks who already own many of these things, but you
can use any usb keyboard/mouse with it just fine, and those are cheap
to buy new too. It will work with any normal monitor.

You could put it in your car if you can get power hooked up, but to my
knowledge it will only accept an Apple wireless card, which means
you'd need to be close to an access point to have wireless. Same deal
with a portable screen -- if you have power you could hook it up.
It would be very portable outside of that though, if you have a
monitor/key/mouse setup at more than one location (ie, work and home).

If you're really attached to the idea of mobility *with* a screen, you
might consider an iBook instead. Similar specs, and you'd get pretty
close to that in price by the time you buy a mobile monitor. Try
smalldog.com for decent deals if you're curious.

Evan

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:16:20 +0000, Dan Wilson <sipacate AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mac fans,
>
> I purchased a Dell Axim last month and was severly dissapointed. It is an
> unimpressive piece of crap and I am returning it right now.
>
> I see that the Mac Mini is about the same price, and while they are very
> different machines with very different utilitarian functions, I am thinking
> of purchasing the Mac Mini.
>
> I would need a keyboard, a monitor and a mouse, is that right? What are some
> creative ways I can use this? Can I get the Nextel Broadband and have it
> constantly connected in my car and other spots?
>
> What kind of displays are available for this? Are there portable screens?
> Does anyone have one?
>
> Please advise.
>
> I don't want another piece of crap.
>
> dw