internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] roll call

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <rua AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] roll call
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:26:50 -0500

> > What is your name?

------Don Rua

> > Where do you live?

------Floral City, FL

> > What do you do?

-------The work thing: I began the past 12 months in RTP as president of a
software company, then Production Manager for several newspapers, and
currently Product Manager, Website Services at Raymond James. "What I do" in
a career sense is less cohesive, including middle school counselor, private
investigator, behavior program supervisor, Merry Minstrel gigolo-gram, Taco
Bell firee, newspaper delivery, web creative lead, covert corporate
security, caterer, doctorate student, sales trainer, and group home
director.

> > What do you /really/ do?

-------Love my wife and two sons, 15 & 10, intensely. Live on 4-5 hours
sleep/night since '94 so I can cram as much of the internet into my head as
possible after the family goes to sleep, read-read-read, surf Cocoa Beach,
challenge assumptions everywhere-everyday, learn
PshopFlashPoserVBBryceMSProject or whatever tickles my fancy, lose myself in
FinalFantasy, find and fertilize the good in people, public speaking, have a
few shots of Cuervo now and then, coach, write-write-write, and cook my
mom's favorite recipes so they won't be forgotten now that she's gone.

> What is your quest?

3 goals come to mind:
----Write a novel that is widely enjoyed, most likely in the fantasy genre,
although I'm not crazy about being defined by a genre or any other label.
---- Find a way to reach millions of young readers with the joy and value of
exploring philosophy, the Socratic method, and the value of reason. Not just
the high-schoolers on the math-bowl team building their resume for Duke
admission, but also the masses. The C students, the dropouts, the kids that
have brains but aren't defined by scholastic/career worship, etc.
---- To squeeze 8 different lifetimes into one.

Don