internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] roll call

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <joanna.wolfe AT oup.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] roll call
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:27:16 -0500

What is your name?
Joanna Wolfe

Where do you live?
Durham - a good place to live if you're single, and even if you
aren't.

What do you do?
I hold the illustrious title of Manager, Business Technology Services
- but I really manage the Oxford University Press, US website and the
staff who support it.

What do you /really/ do?
Well, what I've done is harrass the Durham Parks & Rec Department into
opening up the dog park at Piney Wood. Which subsequently, they have
had little or nothing to do with me since. But since I was recently
appointed president of Triangle Greyhound Society, I'm not that
worried about the dog park. I spend a lot of time talking to people
about pet adoption, greyhound adoption, greyhound rescue, greyhound
hauls, GURs (greyhound underground railroad), greyhound websites and
all things Greyhound - because, after all, greyhound people are nuts.
I organize and run - along with other members of Triangle Greyhound
Society - the annual Greyhounds in Gettysburg gathering in April.
Yeah, I know we're south of the mason dixon line - don't ask. I bake
cookies and brownies for Greyhound auction sites and my church's
alternative christmas market. And somehow I get suckered into making
wedding cakes and other specialty cakes. I'm still trying to figure
out how to make baking a full time profession so I can quit my day
job.

What is your quest?
To make folks more aware of Greyhounds as a pet adoption option - they
are really big house cats that you have to walk.

What is your favorite color?
Green

What is the average velocity of an unladen swallow?
I don't know, but a greyhound can exert 220 pounds of pressure from a
dead stop. They can reach top speed in three step - which can be up
to 45 mph. And they can sleep 18 - 20 hours a day. Thus winning them
the title of the 45 mph couch potato.