internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:43:29 -0500

On Dec 2, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Tony Spencer wrote:

I'm sure Christians as well as aetheists guilty of violence.

I've even heard of some Muslims guilty of violence in the name of religion.

That's interesting you would bring that up. The breakdown of religion in the US is roughly:

http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#religions

Christianity: 76.5%
Nonreligious/Secular: 13.2%
Judaism: 1.3%
Islam: .5%
Buddhism: .5%

But according to the book The New Criminology by Max Schlapp and Edward Smith only 1/10 of 1% of the US prison population identifies themselves as non-religious.

http://www.felicity.com.au/personal_extra.htm

"Indifference to religion, due to thought, strengthens character"

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC USA