internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] response to question of rights

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] response to question of rights
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:00:35 -0500

On Nov 7, 2004, at 11:17 PM, James Dasher wrote:

It was actually a bunch of right-wing religious Republicans who were the big advocates for ending slavery.

This is way off the already way off topic discussion, but I'm a Lincoln buff, and remembered the resolution that "Lincoln and the liberals of Springfield" pushed through about the Hungarian Revolution of 1848:

It is resolved:

1. That it is the right of any people, sufficiently numerous for national independence, to throw off, to revolutionize, their existing form of government, and to establish such other in its stead as they may chose.

2. That it is the duty of our government to neither foment, nor assist, such revolutions in other governments.

From The Life and Writings of Abraham Lincoln, edited by Philip Van Doren Stern

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC