internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] I said I'd never use frames...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chad Ingham <wap AT visi.com>
  • To: Ruth Suehle <wuzzled AT nc.rr.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] I said I'd never use frames...
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:47:58 -0500

Tricky. My bet would be that you'd have to implement a function that triggers from the unLoad event for that frame. That function would capture the destination URL of that frame (if possible) and set the location property of the entire frameset to that destination URL.

BTW, I've been a silent subscriber to this group for a couple months, mostly because I was getting the daily digests instead of each email. So I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Chad Ingham. I moved from Minneapolis to Raleigh with my fiance this past June. I've been a database web developer for eight plus years and am currently working for a small email marketing company in the area. As well as doing occasional freelance and contract work. I haven't been able to attend one of the Internetworker events yet as there was always a conflict but I intend on showing up to the next one. I want to say that good information is shared here. And 'cause there have been so many political postings as of late, I'm a liberal conservative. That means although I voted for Kerry I don't think that just because he lost that the country is going to hell in a handbasket.

- Chad

Ruth Suehle wrote:

I've always hated frames and never used them for anything. Thus my completely elementary knowledge in how to deal with this.
I have what I want to use as my personal start page in my browser, and it consists of things I personally want and a page of someone else's that I have no control over. So the only thing I could think to do was to put them in a framed page, with my stuff in a column on the left, and the other page in a larger frame on the right.
On the page I made, I can make all the links open in the whole window, easy. But what about the other page that I can't control? Is there anything I can put in the head of the frameset page to deal with the links in it and make them open in the whole window instead of the frame?
Or is there a better way to deal with this that I totally overlooked?
Thanks!
Ruth