internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Voting experiences

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Voting experiences
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:37:22 -0500

No wait at 1:30 this afternoon at Hope Valley Baptist Church in Durham
either. I have voted there in every election over the last 7 years, and this
time it seems like they were prepared for an onslaught of voters. In
addition to the usual 5 or 6 booths along one wall that they usually have,
they had another 5 or 6 improvised booths sitting on tables with cardboard
boxes on them. The boxes looked about the size of a box that photocopier
paper comes in, with the side facing the top removed, although judging by
the looks of those cardboard boxes they were some sort of Government Issued,
official Board of Elections certified implement. I used one of these
"booths" and found it to be pretty cramped for my ballot and cheat-sheet,
and had to be careful not to fold, spindle or mutilate my ballot to mark
candidates towards the bottom of the ballot. About two thirds of the voting
booths were occupied when I was there, I didn't notice a counter on the
ballot eating machine, and the girl who gave me my sticker on the way out
looked like she was barely a teenager.

- Bill