internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Voting experiences

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: uzoma nwosu <uzoma.nwosu AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Voting experiences
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:59:37 -0500

Uzi -

I'm going to invoke the maxim, "Never attribute to malice what incompetence will explain," and hope your experience was a fluke. In some precincts, I'm sure Jim Crow still poops on the windshield of democracy. In Chapel Hill, I have a harder time imputing racial bias.

Bottom line, though, is that I don't wear your skin so I can't tell you what happened to you. I'm just hoping it was a fluke.

TaB

P.S. uzoma nwosu wrote:
Of course, I stewed for about an hour at
Caribou then went home after I cooled off. I got over it and patted
myself on the back for just getting it done. Life moves on...

Dude, you could have had a free java at Driade! According to the ad in the Independent, a bunch of local businesses are giving small gifts to anyone who walks in with an "I Voted" sticker.

The list:

Body Balance Movement Therapy - Raleigh - One free group mat class
Dakota Grill - Raleigh & Morrisville - Free order of fries
Harmony Farms - Raleigh - Free piece of organic chocolate
Jezebel's Salty Fare - Raleigh - Free shrimp boat
Record Exchange - Raleigh - 10% off everything
Caffe Driade - Chapel Hill - Free 12oz coffee
Chapel Hill Comics - Chapel Hill - 10% off any purchase
Margaret's Cantina - Chapel Hill - Fre chips and salsa
Modern Times - Chapel Hill - 10% off entire purchase
Moondance Gallery - Chapel Hill - Free silver polishing cloth
Peppers Pizza - Chapel Hill - Free soda
Studio Supply - Chapel Hill - Free marker set
Acme - Carrboro - Free glass of champagne
Carrburritos - Carrboro - Free PBR (2 if you voted for Kerry)
Open Eye Café - Carrboro - Free 12oz coffee
Original Ornament - Carrboro - 50% off one item
Tylers Taproom - Carrboro - Free hour of pool
The James Pharmacy Restaurant - Hillsborough - Free ice cream
Carolina Theatre - Durham - One free popcorn
Fowlers - Durham - Free coffee drink of the week
Joe & Jo's - Durham - Free basket of fries