internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Voting experiences

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Voting experiences
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:19:17 -0500

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 11:40, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:35:33 -0500, U. Jason Gloege Jr.
> <ujgloege AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > Got to the polling
> > place at 6:45 a.m. to find a decently long line, in which I waited for
> > probably 30-35 minutes before getting into the building. Inside, they
> > were taking folks in bunches of probably 40 people at a time, and were
> > chewing through the certification lines pretty quickly. I got lucky
> > in that there were only 5 people in the F-L [or whatever it was... it
> > contained G] line, and then the serpentine line to actually get my
> > ballot took another 20 minutes. All told, I think I was there for
> > about 75 minutes, and that was pretty good. Apparently folks has
> > begun lining up at about 5:30-5:45 for the opening at 6:30. By the
> > time I walked out the door just before 8, there had already been ~200
> > ballots cast, according to the scanner/ballot acceptor doohickey.
>
> Wow. Stories like this make me glad that I voted early, even though I had
> to wait 3.5 hours to do it on Saturday. We really should make the national
> election a holiday. My work offered everyone only one hour off to go vote
> so if I had to take 1.5 or 2 hours (or whatever) I'd be on my own.

I didn't have to wait very long at all at 8:30 am at the Nelson
Community Center, at the intersection of Page Rd & Miami Blvd. I was
#385 according to the machine, but I only had a delay of about 20
seconds for the two people ahead of me in the certification line. No
wait to get a ballot. Whole process took about 5 minutes total
including walking to and from the parking lot.

I'm VERY glad I didn't waste four hours of my busy weekend in the early
voting when there are hundreds of precinct locations designed to take
the load on election day!

Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |